Monday, April 25, 2011

Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Will This Be the Longest Post of All?

1/31/2011
This day, I decided I would take the day off. I knew it would be an especially difficult day for me because it marked the one year anniversary of my close friend, Trigg Hughes, being killed. By age 20, you don't find yourself that well equipped to deal with the death of a close friend. You have normally been exposed to a death in the family, but you don't think of losing friends until you are much older. This is a cold reality that many people have to face. You often hear people say "Live every day like it is your last," and today reinforced that for me. Nobody could have predicted what happened to Trigg, not even himself. When people ask the question, what would you do if you have one day to live, I respond with "I don't know. I guess whatever I had already had planned for the day," becuase I know I would never be given the opportunity to answer that in a real-life scenario. This evokes another thought about why people are so prone to conjuring up hypothetical situations. Is it not true that if were to instead focus on the present, we would actually be able to live in the moment and not miss things while we are busy thinking about "what could happen" or what "might happen." In my opinion, people who live their lives wondering about hypothetical things are people who live their lives in fear. So on this day, I take a vow for Trigg. I vow to live in the present becuase in the words of Ferris Bueller, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

2/1/2011This day began with the realization that a cold front had come through College Station after I was backed out of my garage and running late to work. I didn't havet time to go back in to grab a heavier jacket. I would definitely regret this later. Once I got to work, I recieved the pleasant task of being assigned a Valentine's Day project. I was supposed to make a bulletin board about Valentine's Day and decorate the office. I don't know if it was strategic or not, but they picked the Scrooge of Valentine's Day to have to do all of the dirty work. I sat around and made myself look busy until I headed off to class. When I arrived at class, someone had pulled the fire alarm, so I got to wait outside in the cold for 10 miutes with no jacket. In ENDS 101, we talked about our "flow," or our creative environment. I thought to myself about all of the places I have studied or tried to get any work done and which one worked the best for me. Libraries are far too full of people, and when you're as much of a social butterfly as I am, this just sets me up for a fail of productivity. My bed is a far worse idea because I can lay down anywhere, anytime and take a nap. The lighting in my kitchen is far to bright for me to study at the table, and my treehouse is far too relaxing. SO WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO FIND MY CREATIVE ELEMENT?! I have finally found my study zone! I find that I am most productive and creative if I am sitting on the couch in my living room with the dogs next to me. Because my dogs are like my children, I worry about them constantly when I am not home. When they are laying next to me, I feel comfortable and am able to focus. I am also able to stay awake without gettting distracted becuase I am comfortable, but not too much, and the lighting is just right. I had a friend join me to study the other night, and the first thing that he did was turn on his music. I came unglued! NOT MY FLOW! My next class paralleled with the ENDS 101 lecture. We discussed attention spans and what environments facilitate a longer attention span. We also discussed how attention plays a part in memory. After class, I went back to work where I continued acting busy so that I wouldn't have to do the bulletin board taht would make me ever so aware that I am still single.... Of course at 4:55 PM when I am getting ready to leave, the fire alarm goes off! So again, I got to wait outside of a building in the cold without a jacket. I was bound to get sick.....

2/2/2011
This day I participated in an Honor Board for an organization. As I listened to the person present their side of the story after I had already seen pictures that proved him guilty, I couldn't help but wonder what makes people lie. I am just as guilty as any other person of lying, but what is it that makes us not tell the truth? This presents the bigger argument: Is human nature innately good or evil?

2/3/2011
Of course I woke up on Tuesday feeling as if I had been hit by a bus and as if i tried to put a sword down my throat like a member of the circus. I could barely move to get my laptop to schedule a doctor's appointment. When I tried to call my roomate to get him to help me, I found that I had no voice. I was incredibly miserable and laid in bed until my doctor's appointment at 2:00pm. I found that I was actually sad that I was missing ENDS 101 though! I was so glad that I was not having to get out of bed and walk around in the cold though! I laid in bed and finished my personal branding profile for the class, where I got to answere a lot of questions about who I am and the things I am passionate about! What a great opportunity to put that down on paper!

2/4/2011
I go to let my dogs out first thing in the morning and what do I see but SNOW?! I rubbed my eyes in disbelief, BUT IT WAS REAL! What fortunate timing that I didn't have to miss any class because it was cancelled! Now for 3 full days of recovery!

2/6/2011
Super Bowl Sunday, or for me, Strep Throat Sunday! I laid in bed with my dogs, humidifier, and hot tea and watched the Green Bay Packers take home the trophy!


No comments:

Post a Comment